Dr. M.L.S.Deva Kumar
Director, School of Management Studies
At a Glance | Brief Profile | Bio-Data | About Directorate
At the time when there was only one Government Engineering College at Guindy Madras for the entire former composite Madras province, three new Government Engineering Colleges were sanctioned under post second world war reconstruction programme, one at Coimbatore (1945), one at Kakinada(1946) and one at Anantapur(1946). The college of Engineering Anantapur was temporarily located at Guindy in 1946 and later shifted to Anantapur in 1948. The first batch of 60 students was admitted into the college at Guindy, Madras on 10th June 1946 and so the college started its historic journey on that day. Major B.H. Marley was appointed as the first full-fledged Principal of the college after shifting the college to Anantapur. The college was located in Military Meat & Dehydration factory in the present old campus. All those Engineers who went through that kerosene era who studied in the light of hurricane lamps rose to very high positions in their professional career all across the globe.
The college was formally inaugurated at Anantapur by the then Honorable Chief Minister O.Ramaswamy Reddiar. Later, about 300 acres of land was acquired to establish a new campus. The College Main Building, three Laboratories, one Workshop Block and Power House were constructed in 1958 at a total cost of Rs.18 Lakhs. The college was initially affiliated to Madras University during 1946-1955 and to Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupathi during 1955-1972.
Formulation of JNTU:
In the year 1972, under a broad policy of framework of providing technological education required for the industrial growth of the country in general and more particularly for the state of Andhra Pradesh, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) was established on 2nd October 1972 by an act of State Legislature; rightly named after the ardent lover of Science and Technology, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India. Government Engineering College Anantapur, Government Engineering College Kakinada and Government Engineering College Nagarjunasagar (later it was shifted to Hyderabad) were made as its constituent units. JNT University started functioning from Hyderabad. Thus, the College of Engineering, Anantapur went into the fold of JNTU and the college was renamed as JNTU College of Engineering Anantapur. Subsequently, JNTU Act 1972 was amended by JNTU Ordinance, 1992 to affiliate any other college or institution notified by State Government of Andhra Pradesh. Eventually JNTU, Hyderabad has become a multi campus university.
Establishment of JNTUA:
Later in the year 2008, JNTU Hyderabad was devided into four independent Universities. The Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Anantapur (JNTUA) was established on 16th August 2008 by an Act of the Legislature of the State of Andhra Pradesh. JNTUA started functioning in the premises of JNTU College of Engineering Anantapur. (Formerly College of Engineering, Anantapur), with constituent colleges JNTUA College of Engineering Anantpaur, JNTUA College of Engineering Pulivendula, Oil Technological Research Institute. In the year 2009 Department of Management is established. In 2013 JNTUA College of Engineering, Kalikiri is established.
JNTUA as an affiliating University has 98 Engineering Colleges, 33 Pharmacy Colleges and 29 MBA/MCA colleges.
The Journey of School of Management Studies (Erstwhile Department of Management ) began in 2009. Since its inception the school has a long way providing highly conducive academic environment and interaction with hard working, industry oriented professors and making competitive management professionals. The School offers two-year full time MBA programme with dual specialization & unique MBA Programme in Financial Technology.
The School of Management Studies (SMS) enables to equip students to acquire conceptual and interpersonal skills and tries to instill a sense of social purpose for managerial decision making. It develops leadership capabilities in students by practicing a collaborative approach that involves inputs from various departments which gives the benefit of wider view and deeper learning develops students and encourages them to act as change agents in organisations they work with.
The JNTUA School of Management Studies is headed by The Director JNTUA SMS. The Director is Academic and Administrative head of JNTUA SMS.
The Directorate is comprising the Secretariat, Academic and Administrative Office pertaining to JNTUA SMS.
Prof. Dr. M.L.S.Deva Kumar is the Founder Director of JNTUA School of Management Studies.